Soul Food

The syllabus was written backwards.
And the teacher was old and frail.
Didn't know where we were going,
or the perimeters of this journey.
Only that it was something my soul needed.
To be tangled up that way in lust. In love.
A prescriptive documentable travel through time.
Just what I needed and when, was your touch.
And a treasure trove of emotion leaps forth off the page.
With little hope to describe what it's all meant,
I don't think a dry eye to be found.
Some people are put in your life to teach you things...
But since I got the syllabus backwards,
It took me a long time to realize you were gone.
In the way a baby takes to the breast,
With such vigor I reach to find you...
And you are a shadow in my memory, but so vivid.
How could I have known it was never to be?
To me it was romance and adventure.
Soul food at just the right time...
To keep me attentive and alert.
The steady gaze up into your face,
Which riddled my destiny.
However love could be false...
But it is "some love" just the same.
A spark in my heart to keep moving on.
A proof that this life has meaning.
A deepest source of drive, fundemental to life.
To know I have loved no matter the cost.
if I had known the price I still wouldn't change it all.
For real love is sustanance...
For the weary soul.