Intentions

I published my book to help other women recovering from rape. I published my life story, my recovery story, my mental illness story to help other people.  There is a son of Sam law in Montana and I was told just recently I cannot profit from my book.  I have made very little on it anyway. This law says profits have to go to my victim and since I give him credit for my healing anyway I am ok with that.  Well at least while I am on probation.  Here is the law...

Montana Code Annotated, Section 53-9-104 (2005) 

TITLE 53 SOCIAL SERVICES AND INSTITUTIONS CHAPTER 9 SERVICES FOR VICTIMS OF CRIME PART 1 THE CRIME VICTIMS COMPENSATION ACT OF MONTANA

53-9-104 (Temporary) Powers and duties of office.

(1) The office shall:

(d) require any person contracting directly or indirectly with an individual formally charged with or convicted of a qualifying crime for any rendition, interview, statement, book, photograph, movie, television production, play, or article relating to the crime to deposit any proceeds paid or owed to the individual under the terms of the contract into an escrow fund for the benefit of any victims of the qualifying crime and any dependents of a deceased victim, if the individual is convicted of the crime, to be held for a period of time that the office may determine is reasonably necessary to perfect the claims of the victims or dependents. Deposited proceeds may also be used to pay the costs and attorney fees of court-appointed counsel for the charged person. Each victim and dependent of a deceased victim is entitled to actual and unreimbursed damages of all kinds or $ 5,000, whichever is greater. Proceeds remaining after payments to victims, dependents of deceased victims, and the state for any public defender or any attorney appointed for the charged person must be deposited in the state general fund.

I'm really ok with this.  I want to keep selling my story. I can hire a lawyer down the road if the sales increase. Right now it is very little. I can put that in a fund for Adam.  No problem!

Comments