Alone

I don't know when it was exactly that I started to feel very alone because of my mental illness.  I did notice however that invitations to life events stopped happening, whether it be a wedding invite, baby shower, or birthday...these weren't the types of things I got to see on my Facebook feed.  All my life I have entered friendships and groups of people, just to find them later dissolved for one reason or another.  I know that I take up alot of energy and wear people out, but rejection after rejection has left me pointing to myself as to blame and I know alot of it is because of my illness.

People just don't understand.  Or they don't take the time to understand, because it is not normal, the things I go through.  When I try to explain, I get shifted eyes, little questions and the sense that I just don't belong.  Even as far as mental illnesses go, bipolar with psychosis is hard to make sense of, or find a basis on which to connect to others.  Sometimes I feel like a silo in my little town, like a beacon that shies people away from me, with the thought that I am "drama" or "unhealthy."  Even though my illness is not my doing, others think that "why wouldn't I have more control over it?'  Just as easily as I can appear well enough to drive a car and function, I can be completely in a different realm.  Its just like that.  It happens swiftly and my mind is carried away to another place, much like in a dream.

I often feel alone and forgotten in this rat race we call life.  I go to self help and therapy groups to try and find a connection, and often leave with the same feeling that I came with...that I am different and "far out" and unacceptable in some way.  I fight these stigmas all the time, but really alot of it is my own insecurity.  I had been blinded for years in my drinking to my social awkwardness, which left me feeling raw and vulnerable in early sobriety.  I was very open, and with my changing moods I have struggled with my identity.  I've also become accustomed to being alone, and that is an independence I never really felt before recovery.  Before I had always needed someone or something to validate my self worth, and I no longer have that as a negative coping skill.  The feeling of being "alone" or "different" is a very common theme, I have found among other recovering alcoholics.  We are to look for the similarities not the differences.

To be continued...